CNA Skills Test Practice And Guide: Demonstrating different clinical skills in front of an evaluator can be quite a stressful experience when your whole career is dependent on how you’ll be able to prove yourself before you invigilator.
While appearing for the CNA skill test, almost every candidate is nervous as their future depends entirely on the way the results of this test would turn out.
All your years of hard work and practice are based on this CNA skill test. One should be prepared to face every challenge that might come in their way with confidence.
You might see it as a nerve-racking roller-coaster, but you need to calm down and stay tight as I am here at your service to guide you and help you to pass the CNA skill test.
How To Become A CNA?
I think you may already know about the steps to become a CNA after reading my previous article about becoming a CNA, but if you are new to this I am going to give you a brief review about it and break it into 3 simple steps (you can learn more about becoming a CNA in the previous article)
STEP 1: Complete CNA training from a reputable state-approved school.
STEP 2: Clear the written or theoretical exam consisting of 60-90 multiple-choice questions.
STEP 3: Clear the CNA practical exam or clinical skill test by performing the assigned 5 duties in front of the examiner.
What Is A CNA Skill Test?
Now, you must be wondering what a CNA skills test is, well here is your answer. A CNA skill test is designed to test your ability to perform different duties as a CNA and demonstrate your clinical skills along with your patient handling skills before the invigilator in a limited period of time.
When giving a CNA skill test you might be asked to perform at least 5 or more duties as a CNA within 30 minutes. The test reflects what you have learned during your training as a CNA.
To pass the clinical skills test in the first go you have to study and practice each and every skill thoroughly and take a good look at every minor detail about the skills and remember each and every one of them, just taking the skills class and covering the clinical skills for once is not enough to pass this CNA skill test.
The best CNA skill test tip is to practice the skills again and again until you become perfect in performing them.
There is a list of 30 different skills that you need to practice properly as a CNA, the invigilator might ask you to perform any 5 of these skills randomly.
You have to prepare yourself for all the 30 skills as a CNA because you will not know what skill you will need to perform in front of your evaluator whenever he asks you to perform any 5 of them.
Skills That You Must Learn As A CNA
Below are the thirty crucial skills that you must practice, study and perform before appearing in the CNA skill test.
Remember that the skills to be performed are chosen randomly, so you must prepare for all thirty skills because if you may not be able to perform any one of the skills then this might result in failing the CNA skills test.
Here is the CNA skills checklist for you to practice before you appear in a CNA skill test.
- Ambulation with a gait belt
- Applying elastic support stockings
- Body positions: supine, prone, lateral,
- Catheter care
- Change of position in bed
- Changing an occupied bed
- Dressing a resident with a weak arm
- Foot care
- Hand and nail care
- Indirect care
- Measuring and recording pulse
- Measuring and recording respiration
- Measuring blood pressure
- Measuring body temperature
- Measuring the output from a urinary bag
- Mouth care
- Mouth care for unconscious patient
- Mouth care with dentures
- Partial bed bath
- Perineal care: female
- Perineal care: male
- Range of motion exercises (elbow, wrist)
- Range of motion exercises (hip, knee, ankle)
- Range of motion exercises (shoulder)
- Toileting with a bedpan
- Transferring to a wheelchair
4 Easy Steps To Clear The CNA Skill Test
You must be here to find the easiest way possible to clear the CNA skills test which is ahead of you. I have made it simple for you to get through this by breaking your CNA skill test clearance journey into 4 easy steps, let’s dig directly into it.
Step 1: Learn And Practice Every Skill
To clear the CNA skill test you need to practice each and every skill and learn how to perform them at your fingertips, other than this, there is no other way around to clear the CNA skill test.
I know you have already learned the skills in your CNA training classes but you need to practice them and become a pro at performing different duties of a CNA to help the patients.
Being fluent in performing different CNA duties can only come with practice and practice! So practice as much as you can to perform the duties in the correct way.
You have to follow a series of steps to perform different CNA skills, the sequence is the main thing to remember while you are instructed to perform different CNA duties.
The more perfectly you will learn the CNA skill steps, the more likely it is that you’ll perform the CNA duty correctly.
Step 2: Gather Knowledge From Different Resources
It is crucial to gather knowledge and information about every possible CNA skill that might be asked of you before appearing in the exam.
You must do your proper research through reliable and authentic resources before the exam. There are a number of resources from which you can easily get more information about the CNA duties.
You can watch different YouTube videos where CNA skills steps are demonstrated along with plentiful CNA skill test tips.
You can watch as many demonstrations and learn the correct steps, this will help your brain to focus on every minute detail and recall it at the time of your CNA skill test.
You can even go through different websites of CNA testing providers and see what your examiner would be looking for in the future certified nursing assistant to be.
Another way to retain the CNA skill steps is to make flashcards, shuffle them repeatedly and review them continuously to retain every single step.
Also, you can make a group with your friends and perform different duties of a CNA on each other to practice.
Preparing for any exam can be hard but preparing for the CNAskill test can be quite stressful. To clear the exam you should gather accurate information, give yourself plenty of time to study and practice the skills.
Just with proper preparation and willpower, you will ace the test.
Step 3: Get Full Information About Your State Of Test
Most of the testing criteria of different states are quite similar but some of the states may have different policies.
Different states may differ in the number of skills you need to perform in front of your examiner and the time duration provided to you for showing your CNA skills in the CNA skill test.
You may be given a mannequin to perform the duties in one state or an actor who’ll act as a patient in another state, that is where the difference occurs.
But there are different skills that you might need to perform in any of the states including the performance of how you will take a radial pulse, blood pressure, respiration rate, and measure urine output of a patient. Your indirect caring skills can be measured on how you might communicate with the patient, his attendant, and the doctor, the skills can also be measured on how you will pay attention to the patient’s safety, comfort, and needs.
Along with studying different CNA skills, you must know the CNA requirements for your particular state, because different states have various requirements for a CNA.
Step 4: Have Faith In Yourself
The most important tip for passing the CNA skills test is to have faith in yourself, you will succeed if you have faith in what you have learned and your skills! Remember that hard work always pays off.
You should be confident in yourself and never panic in front of the invigilator.
Perform the CNA duties with care and confidence, this is how you would ace the CNA skills test and leave a good mark for your invigilator.
How To Be Prepared For The Day Of CNA Skills Test
No CNA skills test study guide will direct you on how to appear and behave on the big day of the skill test, I am here to guide you with that too. Following are a couple of suggestions for you.
When appearing for an exam, you must dress professionally. While you are performing your skills as a professional CNA, you should dress up like one too! Show up to the CNA skill test prepared for performing the CNA duties as an actual professional CNA.
Here is how you should show up at the CNA skill test venue.
- Wear non-slip, breathable, comfortable and supportive shoes, make sure the shoes are comfortable so that your feet are secure and handle long standing hours
- Make sure your nails are well trimmed and clean to minimise any chances of possible infections when performing CNA duties
- Wear clean standard scrubs to make yourself seem more professional, don’t show up to the CNA skills test in your casual outfits
- Wear minimal jewelry to look elegant and more professional. I would advise you to not wear any rings or bracelets because a handwashing skill is usually compulsory for every CNA skills test, wearing any sort or rings or bracelets may trouble you with performing handwashing skills.
- Your hair should be tied at the back and should be out of your face to ensure they do not come in your way while you are showing your CNA skills to your examiner
Remember your first impression is usually considered as your last impression, so make sure you make your impression right by looking like a professional CNA who is ready to do his job.
Be On Time At The Venue
The best tip for passing the CNA skills test I can give you is to be on time for the CNA skills test, a better option is to arrive early at the venue.
No one likes their nurse to reach the site of need late! So it is better if you reach the venue of the skill test at least 20 minutes prior to the test timings, in order to show the invigilators how punctual you are and how much responsibility you are towards your duties, this will make a good impact on your examiner.
Also, by arriving early you can easily reach where you should be without any rush.
Being a nurse is all about having compassion, being polite, and being selfless.
You should show by your gestures that you are polite and you have a will to take care of people.
You must be polite with the patient and the examiner as well.
You should greet the examiner politely when you arrive, listen carefully to the instructions provided, and ask the questions respectfully if arise in your mind.
Feel Free To Make Corrections
I know that you are fully prepared for the skill test and you have full faith that you will do well in the test, but at the time of the exam, you might get nervous and forget a step while performing a task or you might make some errors.
I have a tip for you here: if you make an error or forget a step while you are performing a task, correct it on the spot before the skill exam is over, if you acknowledge it after the exam is over then it will be useless and you won’t be able to change anything about your error.
Remember, always make corrections if you catch your error in the middle of the task, do not wait for corrections after the task is completed.
Tips To Pass The CNA Skill Test In First Appearance
To pass the CNA skill test for the first time requires you to provide your full attention to every detail about all the 30 clinical duties that are needed to be performed because any five of them can come in your test.
To perform the clinical skills before the experienced invigilator requires you to practice the clinical skills and study thoroughly about them as well.
You must be fully prepared and confident of your practice for your CNA skill test in order to clear it in your first go.
- Although, which skills you will be performing is chosen randomly but there is one skill which is compulsory in every state exam of CNA skill test. The compulsory skill is handwashing, it is the first step before starting any other procedure or work, I know this seems very basic to you, but most of the CNA aspirants forgets this most crucial step, I would suggest you to always remember to wash your hands properly in front of your evaluator before showcasing any of your skill to ensure zero germ contamination to the patient. If you fail the handwashing skill then it is most likely that you will fail the skills test too.
- Always perform the tasks in the correct order, never mix up the sequence of how you will perform a certain skill. The correct sequence is everything while you are performing your designated task.
- Practice all the measurements, you must know how to measure blood pressure, breathing rate, urinary output, weight and radial pulse of your patient
- Most important tip is to stay relaxed when you are performing the assigned task, also you have to make yourself completely calm when you are given the list of tasks you need to perform and never panic no matter what.
- Your top priority should be giving attention to your patient, their rights and ensuring their safety while performing any task on them, your evaluator would be keeping an eye on you for that. If you will take good care of your patient while performing your tasks it would be a plus point for you.
What Is The Passing Score For CNA Test Skill Exam?
Usually, a score of 70-80% is the necessary passing score for the CNA skills test exam. If you get a score of less than 70-80% then you will be considered as a failure in the CNA skills test.